Wednesday 29 April 2020

Joseph Yobo denies condemning Alex Iwobi's role at Super Eagles

New Super Eagles Assistant coach, Joseph Yobo, has denied reports that he condemned Everton midfielder Alex Iwobi as an 'inconsistent' performer for the Super Eagles who needed to be replaced in the team going forward.Yobo, a former Everton and Fenerbahce player, was appointed as an assistant to Super Eagles Head coach, Gernot Rohr a few months ago, replacing Imama Amakapabo after the expiration of his contract with the Nigeria Football Federation.     Reports on Monday morning suggested the Super Eagles legendary defender said in an Instagram live video interview with a journalist that the Super Eagles needed a new creative midifelder in the mould of Wilson Oruma and Jay Jay Okocha as Iwobi was too inconsistent.But Yobo has now clarified the comments, saying he never called Iwobi 'inconsistent' but rather said he was 'unpredictable' after he was asked why the Super Eagles had not gotten a midfielder like Okocha and Oruma since they retired from the Super Eagles.“This is what clearly happened during the live interview session on Instagram, the anchorman said since Austin Jayjay Okocha retired Nigeria hasn’t gotten a proper number 10. '' Yobo told Brila FM''So, I addressed his questions by saying even when Okocha was playing we had Wilson Oruma because he (Oruma) was my teammate and John Mikel Obi has done well for the National team as number 10 and he did a great job before he retired,” said Yobo.“I said, I think Alex Iwobi can be a replacement for the number 10 role. I watched him at 2019 AFCON and the anchorman said, Iwobi is a good player but he’s inconsistent and I said, he is unpredictable and I like him.“I don’t know where he (the writer) got it all crossed out, he changed my words, I didn’t use the word inconsistent for Iwobi, the anchor mentioned that. I said he’s unpredictable and I like him, and his game his hard for midfielders and defenders to understand what he’s going to do,” he said. The post Joseph Yobo denies condemning Alex Iwobi's role at Super Eagles appeared first on Linda Ikeji Blog.

source http://www.lindaikejisblog.com/2020/4/joseph-yobo-denies-condemning-alex-iwobis-role-at-super-eagles.html

No comments:

Post a Comment